In 1942 it seemed that PDA was getting redundant because Kamp Vught was built. But the war lasted and the number of persons arrested was growing. A place to lock up people was certainly still needed. On May 17th 1943 the camp was reopened bearing the name Erweitertes Polizeigefängnis Amersfoort. This second period lasted till April 19th 1945, when the camp was handed over to the Red Cross.